Wednesday, September 5, 2007

New Addition

That is not "New Edition" - although readers of the blog might think I would write about them since they are a musical group from the 80's and I have professed my love for that genre of music.

No, the spelling on the title is correct. The "New Addition" is a baby girl named Carrie Joanne that entered the world at 9:09am on Thursday, August 30th.


Mommy and baby are doing well and are actually getting some sleep (in 2-3 hour increments).

As I did with the birth of my first daughter, I cried in the delivery room. The emotion was a mix of joy from seeing my child fresh out of the womb and feelings of pride and relief for my wife.

The first birth was completed after 3 days of being tipped with her feet above her head in a hospital bed while the doctors administered steroids to help speed the lung development of the baby that was going to come out 3 months before it was supposed to. That was a mentally grueling 3 days for me and I could only imagine what it must have been like for Amy.

This time, the delivery was scheduled, but no one expected it to happen so fast (less than an hour from start to finish), so Amy had to go through the full-sized delivery without any drugs.

I have no idea what that would actually feel like.... and I'm glad. I prefer my tears to be for joyful reason, not painful ones.

1 comment:

CM said...

Just wonderful! Congratulations to all.